Treating Keratosis Pilaris with AmLactin

Treating keratosis pilaris with AmLactin is a common treatment for keratosis pilaris prescribed by dermatologists. Many dermatologists suggest using AmLactin as a treatment for KP. The active ingredient in AmLactin is lactic acid. Lactic acid in theory, is supposed to dissolve the hard keratin build-up in your skin and make your skin soft and less bumpy.
I used AmLactin for over three months as an experiment to treat keratosis pilaris and would like to share my results with you.

Did AmLactin Reduce the KP Bumps on my Skin?
Well, this one is up in the air as I exfoliated on the body part (arm) which I was testing. I believe that the exfoliating of my arm was the most important factor in reducing the roughness of my skin. I think the AmLactin did help make my skin softer, but yet again, the Eucerin that I used (on my other arm) seemed to make my skin just as soft.

Were There any Side Effects From AmLactin?

Yes, I had a couple of issues with the lotion. The first problem was that my skin burned like crazy when I applied it to my arm. The reason my skin burned was because I had small cuts from playing volleyball. The lactic acid in the lotion seared into my skin (felt like putting lemon juice on a cut). The other issue is that the skin on the underside of my arm (close to the bicep) broke out into a rash. I think the active ingredients in this lotion were too harsh for my skin. After a week of applying this stuff (every night) I broke out into a rash that itched like crazy.

Is AmLactin Effective in Treating Keratosis Pilaris?
I didn’t notice any difference between using AmLactin and Eucerin. If you have sensitive skin like me, I would recommend using Eucerin Intensive Repair because the active ingredients in AmLactin could be too much for your skin. PLUS, it’s about four dollars cheaper.